Upcoming Event – Save the date Tuesday April 11
The Women’s International Forum in collaboration with Permanent Mission of Latvia to the United Nations is honored to present a talk with H.E Dr. Vaira Vike-Freiberga, President of the World Leadership Alliance, Club de Madrid and former President of Latvia (1999-2007).
“Three stages of a professional woman’s life: Professor and researcher, President of Latvia, social activist”
- Date: Tuesday April 11, 2017
- Time: 6:15 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Venue: UNHQ, Conference Room 4, GA Building
Born in Riga, she started her schooling in refugee camps in Germany, then lived in Morocco and Canada, obtaining a Ph.D. at McGill University (1965). After a distinguished career as Professor of psychology and international scholar at the University of Montreal, she returned to her native country in 1998 to head the Latvian Institute. Less than a year later she was elected President by the Latvian Parliament and re-elected in 2003.
She is a member, board member or patron of 30 international organizations, including the World Leadership Alliance, the Board of Trustees of the Nizami Ganjavi International Centre (Co-chair), and the European Council on Foreign Relations, as well as five Academies; Honorary Fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford University.
Dr. Vike-Freiberga has been awarded 34 Orders of Merit (1st class) and 19 Honorary doctorates, as well as many medals, prizes and honors, for distinguished work in the humanities and social sciences. She has published 14 books and authored over 200 articles, book chapters, reports, and audiovisual materials.
Please be advise:
If you have UN ID you do not need to RSVP
Need a Ground Pass?
- To obtain a pass, please reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at: 1-212-963-3112 with LAST NAME, NAME and phone number by WEDNESDAY APRIL 5th, 2017. No exceptions will be made to the rule!
- Due to changes in Ground pass procedures, we ask you to please notify WIF of cancellations by Wednesday April 5th, 2017.
- Please send your check for guest fees ($10 per guest) to the Women’s International Forum, One UN Plaza, DC 1-0648, United Nations, New York, NY 10017 by MONDAY APRIL 3, 2017 to be able to include them in the security list!
- Ground Passes should be picked up from WIF Board members the day of the program on 46 Street, Visitor´s Entrance to the UN, from 5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Photo identification will be required to receive a Ground Pass and will be need to enter the Security Check.
Women’s International Forum (WIF)
Sofia Herrera Cubillo (Costa Rica), President, Faika Zaki (Egypt) and Sonia de Meza-Cuadra (Peru), Vice Presidents, Pamela Jacovides (USA), Anna van Oosterom (the Netherlands), Miriam Oueslati Khiari (Tunisia), Tanya Rattray (Jamaica), Dace Mazeika (Latvia), Ingrid Ružičková (Slovakia), Lista Damayanti Djani (Indonesia), Manipreet Tina Kaur Koonjul (Mauritius), Latica Tomašić (Austria), Padma Akbaruddin (India).